Journey of a Shoe Box
The mission of Operation Christmas Child is to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
PREPARING TO RECEIVE SHOE BOXES
Even before you have thought about your shoe box, we and our volunteer teams are busy preparing to receive your box through:
- Promotion in sending countries
- Training in receiving countries
PACKING SHOE BOXES
You and millions of other people engage in this fun activity.
- Local Churches
- Other groups, including schools and workplaces
COLLECTING SHOE BOXES
Now bring your box to us so that we can send it on to a needy child.
- Drop-off locations
- Don’t forget your donation – with your shoe box or processed online (you can donate online here to follow your box)
- Boxes are taken from drop-off/collection points to Processing Centers
PROCESSING SHOE BOXES
Each shoe box is checked to make sure all contents are appropriate for children.
- At Processing Centers, each shoe box is inspected by volunteers
- Boxes must meet the receiving country’s customs requirements
- Consolidation and preparation for shipment takes place
SHIPPING SHOE BOXES
Hundreds of trucks/lorries and sea containers are now ready to transport your box and millions like it.
- Transit to receiving country
- Customs clearance
- Delivered to local churches and ministry partners
DISTRIBUTING SHOE BOXES
Finally, your shoe box gets into the hands of a child!
- Lively, fun event for children
- Creative Gospel presentation by local churches and ministry partners, where appropriate
- Shoe boxes are given to children unconditionally
- Wherever appropriate, children are offered a copy of The Greatest Gift of All booklet in their own language by local churches and ministry partners.
- Soon after an OCC distribution event, the local churches and ministry partners may offer The Greatest Journey (TGJ) to the children participating in OCC in many of their communities. You can read more about this program here on our web site.
THE GREATEST JOURNEY
This exciting discipleship program teaches children to become faithful followers of Jesus Christ.
- After the OCC distribution event, where appropriate, children who received shoe boxes are invited to participate in TGJ by the local churches and ministry partners.
- TGJ is a 12-lesson discipleship program, in the local language, from Samaritan’s Purse. It is utilized by the Operation Christmas Child project and is implemented by local churches and ministry partners.
- Children join with other children from their community to participate.
- Volunteers are trained to lead children through the lessons.
- Children who complete TGJ are awarded a personal certificate and many receive a copy of the New Testament in their local language.